All students are required to gain at least five GCSEs at Level 4 or above including English and Maths to enter the Sixth Form.
A broad choice of A level subjects are on offer at Farringtons and are supplemented with targeted BTEC choices. These are timetabled so that university or career choices will not be restricted by inflexible subject options. Specialist teaching is in small senior groups which allows for individual attention and supports an intensive, but enjoyable, approach to learning.
Sixth Form years are a time when students learn to take responsibility for the effective planning of their own study time, developing the independent study skills essential for university success.
We aim to:
- provide a range of qualifications from which our students can choose programmes that meet their needs and gain credit for their achievements
- ensure that the qualifications provided are worthwhile and valuable, and that students can combine academic and vocational studies
- offer scope for specialisation to support progression, while at the same time encouraging students to broaden their knowledge, understanding and skills
- encourage all students to attain a high level of key skills
- give individualised guidance to help students choose appropriate university courses or careers
- offer clear routes into higher education, employment and further training.
We expect our students to follow 3 courses at A Level and/ or BTEC. We offer the following pathways to help our students achieve the best possible results:
3 A Levels in Year 12 and 13, (possibly including 1 x BTEC subject) + possible EPQ.
Compulsory BTEC subject choice
+ guided A Levels.
Compulsory BTEC choices.
Seven 9-5 grades in full course GCSE subjects. May include BTEC equivalents.
Five 9-5 grades in GCSE or equivalent.
Five 9-4 grades in GCSE or equivalent, with at least a Merit or grade 4 in a relevant BTEC or GCSE.
Please refer to the entry criteria guidance here. External applicants must have a reference from their current school and complete a Sixth Form Application Form. They will also be interviewed by a senior member of staff.
If the desired combination of courses does not appear possible, we will try to be flexible in taking preferences into account before verifying the option blocks.
At present, we offer A Level and BTEC courses in the following subjects:
- Business Studies (BTEC)
- Drama and Theatre Studies
- English Literature
- ICT (BTEC)
- Further Mathematics
- Religious Studies
- Sport Studies (BTEC)
- Graphic Communication
As well as A Levels, students in the Sixth Form may also take one or more of the following optional courses :
- English as an Additional Language
- Extended Project Qualification
There is also provision in the Sixth Form for a full range of extracurricular or practical recreational and sporting activities, as well as opportunities to take part in national Debating, Public Speaking and Model United Nations competitions and more.
Sixth Formers have excellent facilities for private study, both in our main library and in various study rooms. Our common room also helps to foster a close-knit community and provide a space for students to plan activities and socialise. Sixth Formers are expected to carry out a minimum of five hours of private study per subject each week.
A Sixth Form prospectus, with detailed information about all of our Sixth Form courses, is available on request, please telephone 020 8467 0256